Yesterday, my former employer, The Arizona Daily Wildcat, published an article listing their Top 10 Reasons Why They’d Rather Be Wildcats than Sun Devils… I have to say, the list was a bit weak, but I appreciate the effort. (http://wildcat.arizona.edu/news/ua-vs-asu-ten-reasons-i-d-rather-be-a-wildcat-1.1500950)
Here’s MY take:
1. We’ll start with academics. UofA is well known for its work with NASA, especially the recent Phoenix Mars Mission (http://phoenix.lpl.arizona.edu/index.php)
ASU, on the other hand… Well The Daily Show performed an investigation:
2. There’s nothing like a good college town, and I’d consider Tucson to be one of those. There’s nothing bigger in town than UofA – the whole city will come out to support the sports teams, and there’s always something going on directed at the college kids.
ASU, on the other hand… The school is spread thin through the Greater Phoenix Metro, from Glendale to downtown Phoenix to Tempe. And when you do find your way to the main campus, it’s nothing to write home about..
3. The typical scene on campus shows sunny skies, green grass, palm trees, and red brick buildings. And if it’s spring time, plenty of this:
ASU, on the other hand… Well, you’ll probably have to park next to Tempe Town Lake a big mud pit, only to walk a mile to a mixed up campus in Tempe.
4. Famous for “Revenge of the Nerds”.
ASU, on the other hand… They’re located in AZ’s own version of Porn Valley, and I hear even their cheerleaders have taken part!
5. “Bear Down” – Now, before you say anything, there’s a story behind it, and yes – it makes sense. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bear_Down)
ASU, on the other hand… Well, do they even have a slogan?
6. Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuute!!! Few coaches can compare to the silver haired fox, Lute Olson, and the legacy he left behind at UofA’s basketball program (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lute_Olson#Coaching_highlights)
ASU, on the other hand… Well I’ll admit, they’ve actually got a respectable coach now, but there’s still no comparison.
7. We’ve got gold medalist and national champion Jennie Finch. (http://jenniefinch.com/)
ASU, on the other hand… Well, Phil Mickelson is cool but he’s not as easy on the eyes..
8. David Hasselhoff is our biggest fan. (http://deadspin.com/5046842/david-hasselhoff-is-a-crazy-wild-arizona-football-fan)
As for ASU… There is no comparison. Don’t Hassel the Hoff.
9. Quality, not quantity. 70,000 students or 40,000 students? Do they just let everyone in, or what?
“When my mom applied to college, she put ‘being popular’ as her main extracurricular activity, and she got into Arizona State”
10. I went there.